Subject: bug#911: 23.0.60; custom-set-faces causes "New Frame" to fail (max-specpdl-size)

From: Ian Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 12:36:42 +0100

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked]
mailing list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

Whenever I select "File->New Frame" (C-x 5 2) a new frame does not
appear and I receive the message "Variable binding depth exceeds
max-specpdl-size". 

This seems to be caused by any use of custom-set-faces in the
.emacs file. When I remove the custom-set-faces code from .emacs, the
bug does not occur. 

Example custom-set-faces in .emacs that causes the bug:

     (custom-set-faces
      ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
      ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
      ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
      ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
      '(default ((t (:stipple nil :background "DarkSlateGray"
     :foreground "wheat" :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through
     nil :overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight normal
     :height 121 :width normal :foundry "unknown" :family "DejaVu Sans Mono")))))

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.11)
 of 2008-08-01 on x86-1
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version
 11.0.10499905
configured using `configure  '--build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
 '--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--target=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
 '--program-prefix=' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr'
 '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
 '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include'
 '--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/usr/com'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 'build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
 'host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
 'target_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2
 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_GB.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <file> 
<make-frame> M-x r e p o <tab> r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/igrep-init.el
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/muse-init.el
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/php-mode-init.el
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/po-mode-init.el
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/rpm-spec-mode-init.el
(source)...done
Loading gnus...done
Loading paren...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
display-color-cells: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size
Making completion list...