Subject: Re: bug#9088: Java support

From: tsuna <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 09:05:32 -0700

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:00 AM, NightStrike <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 1:04 AM, tsuna <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> What would be nice would be to have the ability to recompile only the
>> .java that changed.  So when you edit 2/3 files, then we'd build just
>> that, but in one command.
>
> make can handle this pretty well.  If all the source files are listed
> as prerequisites, $? will list all the ones newer than the target.
> So, automake could easily write a rule to run the compiler against
> only the .java files that have changed.

Haha, I had forgotten about $?
http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#index-g_t_0024_003f-944

Seems like $? is portable, I wonder why I never used it much.  Thanks
for the pointer.

-- 
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com