Subject: Re: bug#9088: Java support

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 18:18:01 +0200

On Wednesday 27 July 2011, NightStrike  wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 1:04 AM, tsuna <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > What would be nice would be to have the ability to recompile only the
> > .java that changed.  So when you edit 2/3 files, then we'd build just
> > that, but in one command.
> 
> make can handle this pretty well.  If all the source files are listed
> as prerequisites, $? will list all the ones newer than the target.
> So, automake could easily write a rule to run the compiler against
> only the .java files that have changed.
> 
Good idea.  In fact, this is how recompilation is currently handled by
the JAVA primary (with few small complications to support VPATH builds).
And in the 'java-work' branch, there is also a test `java-rebuild.test'
checking these semantics.

Thanks,
  Stefano