Subject: bug#9086: [PATCH] ls --color case insensitive extension matching

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 13:25:52 -0600

On 07/26/2011 02:33 PM, marcel partap wrote:
> Here's a patch. Adds STRCASEEQ_LEN macro for case insensitive extension
> matching.
> #regards/marcel.

Your patch would make the new behavior unconditional.  But I like case 
sensitivity, and think that case insensitivity should be an opt-in 
process that I request, with coordination between dircolors to generate 
a new string for LS_COLORS to be honored by ls.  Furthermore, the patch 
is lacking in NEWS, documentation, and testsuite coverage.

Additionally, you should be aware that strncasecmp() has undefined 
behavior in non-C multibyte locales.  It would probably be better to use 
c_strncasecmp(), so that you are guaranteed defined behavior regardless 
of the current locale.

Would you care to tackle those additional issues?  And are you set up 
for copyright assignment, since the patch will probably be non-trivial 
by that point in time?

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org