Subject: Re: bug#9084: 24.0.50; displaying man pages splits the window and formats the text for the full width of the whole frame rather than for the width of the window the text is displayed in, which is only 1/2 the width of the frame

From: lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 10:44:00 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> What I would want is three windows, side by side and eventually some
>> vertical splits in some of the windows.  I can somehow[3] get that, but
>> when I have it, it won't last long because gnus or whatever else will
>> ignore my window layout and destroy it.
>
> Gnus uses its own window configuration management.

Exactly, and it doesn't go along with whatever else you use emacs for
/because/ it has its own window configuration, same as displaying a
manpage or a help buffer has.

Using an overall window layout as I described means to run gnus within
one of the windows I created.  That is not possible because windows
cannot be "frameified".  Setting `gnus-use-full-window' to nil doesn't
help that.

And if it's not gnus destroying the window layout, something else will.

-- 
http://www.asciiribbon.org/
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html