Subject: bug#9084: 24.0.50; displaying man pages splits the window and formats the text for the full width of the whole frame rather than for the width of the window the text is displayed in, which is only 1/2 the width of the frame

From: lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:20:01 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Hm, sounds good to me.  Is there some more info about this available?
>>> Will this be implemented?
>>
>> I hope Martin could answer your questions whether in the new design
>> is possible to achieve this by using window nests and splits.
>
> `display-buffer' allows to specify (1) the minimum height/width for the
> popped-up window (the window is not created if this can't be done), and
> (2) a desired height/width of the window after it has been created.  If
> this fails, the size of the popped-up window remains unchanged after the
> split.

Unfortunately, I don't know elisp well enough yet to understand the
docstring of `display-buffer-alist'.  It sounds extremely complicated to
display a buffer in a window that has a particular size and position
with the `display-buffer' function.

Is everyone who's programming something in elisp that involves
displaying buffers expected to implement their own window management to
get buffers displayed the way they want them?  What if the users want
the buffers displayed differently than the programmers or use
features that have their own window layouts that are conflicting with
window layouts of other features?

Perhaps there's something I don't understand ...  A window manager like
fvwm2 does not resize and/or reposition and/or remove all or some of the
windows the user has carefully laid out on the display just because the
user decides to display a manual page or an info document, or starts
writing a reply to an email in one of the windows.  What is the point of
emacs destroying the users window layout all the time?

-- 
http://www.asciiribbon.org/
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html