Subject: bug#9084: 24.0.50; displaying man pages splits the window and formats the text for the full width of the whole frame rather than for the width of the window the text is displayed in, which is only 1/2 the width of the frame

From: lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 19:22:24 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Manpages are an exception because unlike most other static and
> preformatted texts in other modes, `man' can format texts on the fly
> taking the width as a parameter.  It would be wiser to employ this
> possibility and fill the text of manpages to the window's width.
> So it's up to the users to decide what width they want
> interactively by creating a window with the desired width,
> or by configuring the window auto-splitting or window layouts.

Ok, and how do users configure emacs to automatically split windows in
such a way that they aren't wider (or narrower) than the text to be
displayed in them while achieving the window layout they want?

>> Does this plan involve functionality to freeze window layouts or to
>> "frameify" windows?
>
> In the proposed designs such parts of the window layout are called
> "window groups" or "framelettes" that can behave as a separate frame.

Hm, sounds good to me.  Is there some more info about this available?
Will this be implemented?