Subject: RE: bug#9074: 24.0.50; problems trying to mail bug report, again

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 10:34:26 -0700

> > Time goes by, and still users are forced to jump through 
> > silly hoops just to report a bug from emacs -Q.
> 
> If it hurts, don't do that.  I think it's really the only possible
> answer given that "emacs -Q" specifically means to ignore as much as
> possible user configurations.

What are you talking about?  Don't do what?

I have no problem with the fact that emacs -Q means to ignore user configs.
What are you talking about?

The hoops I spoke of were to have to use a different (e.g. old) Emacs session to
report a bug in the latest Emacs build.  Why?  Because the current builds do not
work!  They do not let you mail a bug report.

Please read the bug thread.  This is a regression.  Emacs users should be able
to _easily_ report a bug from emacs -Q.  And on Windows, at least, their
ordinary mail client (e.g. Outlook) should be invoked and the bug text made
available on the clipboard, as previously.

I cannot believe you would think this regression is somehow an improvement.  I
can only guess that you have not read the thread or do not understand the added
obstacles to user reporting.

Have you seen bug #9155?  It shows that after I reported #9074 some changes were
apparently made (perhaps to remedy some of the #9074 problems?) that broke
things even more.  Do you consider the behavior reported in #9155 an
improvement?

It is now impossible for me to send a bug report from recent Emacs 24 builds.  I
have submitted several reports since this was broken, but all have had to be
from older Emacs builds (e.g. releases), even though they are reporting problems
in the recent builds.