Subject: 24.0.50; ESC-> does not seem to function

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:01:15 +0200

Hello!

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin9.8.0, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
  of 2011-07-02 on ip-109-91-229-51.unitymediagroup.de
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version  
11.0.11002000
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-dbus' '-- 
without-pop' '--without-gconf' '--without-gpm' '--without-gsettings'  
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application  
Support/Emacs/calendar24:/Library/Application Support/Emacs' 'CFLAGS=- 
g -H -pipe -fPIC -fno-common -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -maltivec - 
faltivec -mabi=altivec -Os -mfused-madd -mmultiple -ftree-vectorize'  
'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-dead_strip_dylibs -Wl,-bind_at_load -Wl,-t' 'CC=gcc-4'  
'CPP=cpp-4' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/local/share/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Compilation

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   text-scale-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Launched with -Q, to see whether effects I encounter in customised  
copy might be due to the customisation. Here in a *compilation* buffer  
the compilation of GCC happens – 100,000 or so lines of output. When I  
want to go the bottom of the buffer and type ESC-> the wristwatch  
cursor appears. It can stay of minutes, maybe even longer. No movement  
of the text in the buffer happens. But when I press C-g the cursor is  
at once at the end of the buffer and is pushed further forward from  
the output just happening.

I have the impression that a few thousand lines have to be between the  
point where I type ESC-> and the end of the buffer – and maybe text  
insertion has to happen. One constraint could also be heavy CPU load  
and GNU Emacs swapped out due to leaving it untouched for hours. It  
behaves very inert when I pick it to be the active X client. The  
cursor appears after seconds and heavy disk activity is indicated.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Imbecility, n.:
	A kind of divine inspiration, or sacred fire affecting censorious  
critics of this dictionary.
				– Ambrose Bierce: _The Devil's Dictionary_