Subject: bug#9065: 24.0.50; ESC-> does not seem to function

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 12:24:01 +0200

Am 11.09.2011 um 06:23 schrieb Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen:

> Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Launched with -Q, to see whether effects I encounter in customised
>> copy might be due to the customisation. Here in a *compilation*  
>> buffer
>> the compilation of GCC happens – 100,000 or so lines of output.  
>> When I
>> want to go the bottom of the buffer and type ESC-> the wristwatch
>> cursor appears. It can stay of minutes, maybe even longer. No  
>> movement
>> of the text in the buffer happens. But when I press C-g the cursor is
>> at once at the end of the buffer and is pushed further forward from
>> the output just happening.
>
> Try (setq debug-on-quit t) and then `C-g'.  Post the backtrace here.

The failure is never so severe that it comes to debugging ... But I  
found the cause for the slow down, when I repeated this a lot in  
*compilation* buffers with warnings in them: the cursor is not just  
moved to the end of the buffer, while this happens the text is scanned  
for warnings, errors, etc. The same seems to be true when using  
isearch. It's also pretty slow in *compilation* buffers.

I don't know whether this is documented (it should be). What I'd wish  
is that I could configure/customise the (large, > 10,000 lines)  
*compilation* buffers (often compiling with -H and -Wl,-t) that it is  
not scanned for compiler reports, either unconditionally or  
conditionally based on the number of lines in the buffer, that this  
scanning stops when the number becomes greater than a certain value.  
There are means to search for these compiler reports, so there should  
not be a side-project performed when moving the mark or isearch'ing.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Almost anything is easier to get into than out of.
				– Allen's Law