Subject: Re: bug#9039: 24.0.50; dired "f" fails on directory that begins with a space

From: [email-masked] (Randal L. Schwartz)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:11:56 -0700

>>>>> "GM" == Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

GM> Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>> What I'm confused about is if setting the other switch always does the
>> right thing (and faster, without forking), why would dired *ever* use
>> "ls --dired"?

GM> In the doc of dired-use-ls-dired, I mention that ls-lisp does not
GM> support as many options as GNU ls.

So what features of dired break?  All I see in the docs for that var is:

    dired-use-ls-dired is a variable defined in `dired.el'.
    Its value is unspecified

    Documentation:
    Non-nil means Dired should use "ls --dired".
    The special value of `unspecified' means to check explicitly, and
    save the result in this variable.  This is performed the first
    time `dired-insert-directory' is called.

    You can customize this variable.

Ahh, in ls-lisp.el, I see

    ;; RESTRICTIONS ======================================================

    ;; * A few obscure ls switches are still ignored: see the docstring of
    ;; `insert-directory'.

    ;; TO DO =============================================================

    ;; Complete handling of F switch (if/when possible).

    ;; FJW: May be able to sort much faster by consing the sort key onto
    ;; the front of each list element, sorting and then stripping the key
    ;; off again!

Is that what you're talking about?

-- 
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Smalltalk/Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
See http://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/ for Smalltalk discussion