Subject: Re: bug#9039: 24.0.50; dired "f" fails on directory that begins with a space

From: [email-masked] (Randal L. Schwartz)
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 20:08:45 -0700

>>>>> "Eli" == Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Why isn't GNU Emacs using readdir() and stat() internally?  Why is it
>> depending on an external ls?

Eli> It was always like that with Dired on Posix platforms.  If you want a
Eli> Lisp emulation of `ls', try loading ls-lisp, maybe you will find it
Eli> better for your taste.

As I said on the dev-list:

    By the way, (directory-files-and-attributes "~") does the right thing
    with respect to this directory.  So it still looks like dired is doing
    the Wrong Thing.

Not only would it be faster, it'd be more portable.

So that's the bug here.  Dired should be using the low-level routines,
not forking a lot.

-- 
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Smalltalk/Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
See http://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/ for Smalltalk discussion