Subject: bug#9039: 24.0.50; dired "f" fails on directory that begins with a space

From: [email-masked] (Randal L. Schwartz)
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 19:46:03 -0700

>>>>> "GM" == Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

>> nil.  The default.

GM> The default is `unspecified'.

How so?  I have nothing to set it, and it comes up nil.  How is that not
the defaul then?

GM> OK, your dired doesn't support the --dired option. In this case, dired
GM> is known to not perform as well, especially with regards to file names
GM> with spaces. If you install GNU ls, it will work better.

And yet, "find-file" finds the directory with a space just fine, and
even autocompletes it.

Why isn't GNU Emacs using readdir() and stat() internally?  Why is it
depending on an external ls?

-- 
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Smalltalk/Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
See http://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/ for Smalltalk discussion