Subject: 24.0.50; background not set correctly when using default-frame-alist

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 14:28:01 +0200

Hi,
if i want to create a new frame with a new background using
default-frame-alist, emacs create a new frame with the new background
but only in the first part of the buffer displayed, the other part use
the initial X setting (i.e what is in .Xressources).

#+BEGIN_SRC lisp
(let ((default-frame-alist '((minibuffer . nil)
                             (width . 80)
                             (height . 24)
                             (left-fringe . 0)
                             (border-width . 0)
                             (menu-bar-lines . 0)
                             (tool-bar-lines . 0)
                             (unsplittable . t)
                             (top . 24)
                             (left . 450)
                             (background-color . "LightSteelBlue")
                             (foreground-color . "DarkGoldenrod")
                             (alpha . nil)
                             (fullscreen . nil))))

#+END_SRC

With these settings, if i create new frame with
switch-to-buffer-other-frame or make-frame-command,
you can see here the result:
http://tinyurl.com/3ghnol9

When using emacs -Q (no X settings) this doesn't happen.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.7 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
 of 2011-07-08 on thierry-MM061
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11001000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
v C-c v C-c v C-y C-_ C-c v <return> 0 1 N e t SPC 
a c t u a l i t é s <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> q g u R r Q q <f7> n y y u f f <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <return> 
<down> <return> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <return> <return> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <return> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> m Q <f7> m 
<return> <return> <down> <return> q q y C-z n C-z n 
C-s a n y t h i n g - c - q u i t <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <right> <left> <down> 
<down> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<f5> a q C-g C-k M-^ " C-x C-s <f5> a q <tab> <down> 
<return> C-z 1 <down> <down> t d <down> t c s C-z C-a 
C-x C-s <f7> m q y C-x 5 2 <switch-frame> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> C-x 5 0 C-z 0 r a t h e r <left> 
C-c t r C-x C-( C-à C-x 5 0 <right> C-_ C-x C-s M-x 
r e p o <return>

Recent messages:
Opening nndoc server on /home/thierry/News/gmane.emacs.devel...done
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done
No more unread newsgroups
Are you sure you want to quit reading news? (y or n)  y
(No changes need to be saved)
byte-code: End of buffer [13 times]
Undo!
(No changes need to be saved)

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow epa-mail emacsbug org-archive w3m-form cal-iso smiley gnus-cite
flow-fill gnus-async gnus-bcklg mail-extr qp gnus-ml nndraft nnmh nndoc
utf-7 nnimap utf7 nnml nnfolder rot13 netrc network-stream starttls tls
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp
gnus-cache gnus-dired gnus-registry registry eieio-base ert find-func
debug help-mode view preview prv-emacs tex-buf reftex-vcr reftex-dcr
reftex-auc reftex reftex-vars font-latex latex tex-style tex latexenc
imenu rst sh-script conf-mode vc-rcs vc-git xgit-dvc xgit xgit-annotate
dvc-annotate xgit-log xhg-dvc xhg xhg-annotate xhg-mq xhg-log bzr-core
xdarcs-core xgit-core xhg-core xmtn-minimal tla smerge-mode newcomment
dvc-state dvc-config dvc-diff dvc-fileinfo diff sendmail dvc-cmenu
dvc-about dvc-version dvc-revlist uniquify em-unix em-script em-prompt
em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic esh-opt em-banner
em-alias esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-ext esh-proc esh-groups eshell
esh-module esh-mode align-let server googlecl google-maps
google-maps-static google-maps-geocode google-maps-base json
simple-call-tree el-expectations el-mock csv2org iedit zop-to-char
mule-util elscreen smallurl mm-url xml-weather rectangle-utils tv-utils
pcvs pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-defs auto-document autodoc mb-depth
ioccur moz cl-info slime-xref-browser slime-banner slime-tramp
slime-asdf slime-fancy slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-scratch slime-presentations slime-fuzzy
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-parse slime-repl slime hideshow hyperspec slime-autoloads boxquote
rect image-file newsticker newst-treeview newst-plainview newst-reader
newst-ticker newst-backend ledger-config ledger esh-arg esh-util lpr
woman man two-column em-term term ehelp electric esh-toggle em-xtra
flymake pdbtrack eldoc-eval eldoc no-word regex-tool whitespace paren
time dired-tar dired-extension image-dired yaoddmuse skeleton sgml-mode
emms-mplayer-config emms-playlist-limit emms-volume emms-volume-amixer
emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-lastfm-client parse-time
emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort
emms-last-played emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time
emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line
emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode
emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer emms-info emms-streams later-do
emms-source-playlist emms-source-file emms-player-simple emms-setup emms
emms-compat winner dvc-init bzr-gnus tla-gnus xgit-gnus xhg-gnus
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nnir gnus-sum nnoo
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader dvc-gnus tla-core
tla-autoconf tla-defs dvc-log vc vc-dispatcher dvc-unified dvc-tips
dired-x ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util
ediff-mult ediff-init ediff dvc-autoloads dvc-core dvc-lisp dvc-buffers
dvc-ui dvc-register dvc-utils dvc-emacs ewoc dvc-defs dvc-site psvn
log-edit pcvs-util add-log diff-mode htmlize-hack htmlize muse-colors
muse-docbook muse-texinfo texnfo-upd texinfo muse-latex muse-html
muse-xml-common muse-wiki cus-edit cus-start cus-load muse-publish
muse-project muse-protocols muse-regexps muse muse-nested-tags muse-mode
muse-autoloads org-config-thierry org-crypt cal-china lunar solar
cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs vc-hg
org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo
org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks org-info org-gnus
org-docview org-bibtex org-bbdb org-agenda appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
org-annotation-helper org-capture org-mks remember org-remember
org-datetree config-w3m mime-w3m w3m doc-view jka-compr image-mode
timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image
w3m-proc w3m-util mime eword-decode mel path-util mime-parse std11 luna
mime-def alist mcharset mcs-20 mcs-e20 pces pces-e20 pces-20 broken
pcustom poe pym static apel-ver product w3m-load addressbook-bookmark
message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader firefox-protocol bookmark-uzbl-handler
bookmark-firefox-handler url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap
bookmark-extensions org ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-complete org-list
org-faces org-compat org-entities org-macs noutline outline cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs bookmark pp recentf tree-widget wid-edit savehist
init-anything-thierry descbinds-anything anything-ipython ipython
python-mode info-look ansi-color executable shell pcomplete
shell-history anything-complete anything-show-completion
anything-obsolete anything-match-plugin anything-delicious xml
anything-mercurial anything-stgit anything-config browse-url rx grep
compile comint ring tramp tramp-compat format-spec tramp-loaddefs
dired-aux ffap thingatpt anything warnings epa-file epa derived epg
epg-config auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
macroexp assoc gnus-util time-date mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
dired regexp-opt usage-memo punycode idna naquadah-theme eev-thierry
edmacro kmacro iterator eev-all eev-mini-steps eev-browse-url eev-langs
eev-compose eev-glyphs disp-table eev-insert eev-steps eev-bounded eev
easy-mmode advice help-fns advice-preload w3m-wget preview-latex
tex-site auto-loads info easymenu cl tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997