Subject: bug#902: select-active-regions only half-working

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 23:53:50 -0400

>> Could you be more precise and give an actual recipe?

> With transient-mark-mode and select-active-regions on:

> Set mark. (C-SPC)

> Move point with keyboard, defining an active region.

> Try to middle-click-paste into another application (that
> accepts middle clicks to paste in primary, of course)

> Note that what is pasted in doesn't correspond to the
> active region.  It should.

Whether it should or not is very debatable.  Historically, Emacs has
always reuqested the user to select with the mouse or use M-w for that,
and I have seen no evidence that people usually expect Emacs to copy the
region to the X11-selection more eagerly.

Your suggestion might please some people, but I do not think it
should be used by default.  So I suggest you turn your code into
a global minor mode.

> There might still be a related ordering issue in mouse-drag-track too,
> that caused annoying off-by-a-little-bit glitches when mouse-selecting:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg00316.html

I'm not sure I understand.  If it relates to the current code (as
opposed to yours), then please post a separate bug report for it (and
include a recipe, of course).

        Stefan