Subject: Re: bug#9006: 24.0.50; Abort in unshow_buffer/kill-buffer

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 10:59:26 +0200

> I just encountered a bad effect that I assume is caused by this change,
 > since it didn't happen before:

Before means before the change that sets w->pointm?  Are you sure it's
not related to upgrading to the new window code?

 > when I type `h'
 > (gnus-summary-select-article-buffer) in the Gnus Summary buffer, this
 > splits the window and selects the Article buffer as it's supposed to,
 > but in the Summary buffer point simultaneously moves to point-min; it's
 > supposed to stay put.  The same thing happens when I have split windows
 > with the Summary and Article buffer and in the former type C-x o
 > (other-window).  I haven't been able to reproduce this with other
 > buffers, but only with Gnus Summary.  Still no abort, but this effect
 > means the fix -- if it is one -- at least needs further tuning.

Just to make sure: This does not happen with the w->pointm hack?  If so,
that is if it does not happen with the w->pointm hack, then it's
obviously what I mentioned in the last post: We set window-point to 1
for the temporary buffer but we don't reset it back to the old buffer's
position upon exiting `vertical-motion'.  Rather _you_ did set the old
buffer's window point to 1 and it stays put there when you set w->buffer
to old_buffer upon exiting `vertical-motion'.  (Note that
`vertical-motion' gets called by `split-window-above-each-other'.)

martin