Subject: Re: bug#8966: 24.0.50; Strange message in the echo area after creating a new file

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:25:01 +0300

> Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:12:51 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
> 
> >From "emacs -Q", eval (find-file "<path-to-new-file>"), where
> <path-to-new-file> denotes the name (with path) of a nonexistent file
> (which we are creating right now).
> 
> After doing that, the echo area shows "#<buffer <path-to-new-file>>",
> but it should show "(New file)", as when you do the same interactively
> with C-x C-f.

Not a bug.  Evaluating an expression causes its value to be displayed
in the echo area.  find-file returns the buffer it creates, and that's
what you see.  Check out the section in the ELisp manual about the
buffer object reading syntax.

The "(New file)" message gets overwritten by that, but you can still
find it in the *Messages* buffer.

I'm closing this bug.