Subject: bug#8966: closed (Re: bug#8966: 24.0.50; Strange message in the echo area after creating a new file)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:26:02 +0000

Your bug report

#8966: 24.0.50; Strange message in the echo area after creating a new file

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8966: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8966
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8966: 24.0.50; Strange message in the echo area after creating a new file
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:25:01 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:12:51 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
> 
> >From "emacs -Q", eval (find-file "<path-to-new-file>"), where
> <path-to-new-file> denotes the name (with path) of a nonexistent file
> (which we are creating right now).
> 
> After doing that, the echo area shows "#<buffer <path-to-new-file>>",
> but it should show "(New file)", as when you do the same interactively
> with C-x C-f.

Not a bug.  Evaluating an expression causes its value to be displayed
in the echo area.  find-file returns the buffer it creates, and that's
what you see.  Check out the section in the ELisp manual about the
buffer object reading syntax.

The "(New file)" message gets overwritten by that, but you can still
find it in the *Messages* buffer.

I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 24.0.50; Strange message in the echo area after creating a new file
From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:12:51 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: emacs
Version: 24.0.50

>From "emacs -Q", eval (find-file "<path-to-new-file>"), where
<path-to-new-file> denotes the name (with path) of a nonexistent file
(which we are creating right now).

After doing that, the echo area shows "#<buffer <path-to-new-file>>",
but it should show "(New file)", as when you do the same interactively
with C-x C-f.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-06-27 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/build/include'

-- 
Dani Moncayo