Subject: bug#8965: Help with nXhtml?

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:38:13 +0100

I've recently been using nXhtml:

http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/nXhtml/doc/nxhtml.html

It's a specialisation of nxml-mode by Lennart Borgman with lots of
extra support for web development; in particular, a multiple major
modes implementation, and some extra modes for common web languages
like PHP.

There's a lot of good stuff in here, but also a lot of annoying bugs.
Lennart seems to have very little time at the moment; I've tried to
help a little bit with documentation fixes and precise bug reports,
but I really don't have the elisp expertise to help with this either.

So, I thought I'd publicize the cause on bug-gnu-emacs: I know that
some people have already taken an interest in getting nXhtml working
better and even getting bits of it into Emacs, but little has
happened, so, if you're an elisp hacker interested in web development,
and you've not yet tried nXhtml, maybe give it a spin and see if it
inspires you to hack on it a bit? Even some relatively small bug-fixes
to the existing version that would make it easier to use and install
without running into trivial errors, would really help.

Of course, massive credit goes to Lennart for putting so much work
into nXhtml in the first place. This call for help is in no way a
criticism of him; on the contrary, I think it is a great shame that
his impressive work isn't reaching a wider audience, simply because of
a lack of polish and maintenance.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org