Subject: 24.0.50; `find-file' triggers the debugger when called with a nonexistent remote file

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:40:49 +0200

Package: emacs
Version: 24.0.50

>From "emacs -Q":
1. Eval this, literally: (find-file "/user@host:/file")
2. Give any random password (for user@host).

Then, the a debugger window pops up, with this text:

  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (ftp-error #("FTP Error: OPEN request
failed: Unknown host host." 32 50 (fontified nil front-sticky (field
inhibit-line-move-field-capture) rear-nonsticky t field output
inhibit-line-move-field-capture t)))
    signal(ftp-error (#("FTP Error: OPEN request failed: Unknown host
host." 32 50 (fontified nil front-sticky (field
inhibit-line-move-field-capture) rear-nonsticky t field output
inhibit-line-move-field-capture t))))
    byte-code("\203

If the host is unknown, it should be notified with a message in the
minibuffer (as happens if you do it interactively with C-x C-f), but
not by triggering the debugger.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-06-27 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/build/include'

-- 
Dani Moncayo