Subject: Inclusion of jabber.el in Emacs 24

From: Yavor Doganov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 20:37:56 +0300

Package: emacs
Severity: wishlist

I'd like if one of the most wonderful and adorable Jabber clients,
jabber.el (aka emacs-jabber, <http://emacs-jabber.sourceforge.net>) is
evaluated for inclusion in Emacs 24.

Possible caveats:

- Copyright assignment: there are not so many contributors AFAIK so it
  should be doable.

- Uses (optionally) FLIM features.

- Most probably something else I'm missing.

Pros:

- Rocks.

- Really rocks.  (Personally I find it much more convenient than the
  official GNU Jabber client GNU Freetalk.)

- Jabber (XMPP) is the only free IM protocol, replacement of the
  proprietary AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo!, Gadu-Gadu, etc. etc. protocols.
  I find it odd that Emacs has 2 IRC clients (ERC and the default
  rcirc), but no Jabber client.

- Has many users; some of them have abandoned sophisticated GUI Jabber
  clients (such as Pidgin/Gajim/Psi/Empathy/etc) in favor of
  jabber.el.  (Well, mostly because they're Emacs users, but the
  argument still holds.)

I know such requests should come from the add-on package
maintainer(s), but I see no harm reporting it to the Emacs BTS as a
user.