Subject: Slow file saves (7 seconds)

From: Jon Doyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 13:08:21 -0400

In a fresh installation of Emacs on a new Windows 7 machine, saving
files after editing takes a very long time.  For example, saving a 300KB
Latex source takes about 7 seconds pretty repeatedly.  The disk is
running, so there is no spinup time.  Editing the same file on my old,
slower Windows 7 machine (same speed disk, same init files, but probably
version 23.1 or 23.2) took less than a second, never long enough to
notice.  I saw some mentions of version control slowdowns, but I'm not
using such to my knowledge, and setting the switches mentioned in those
posts made no difference.   I did not see anything in the emacs bug list.

Thanks for any help you can offer on this.

Jon Doyle

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: LaTeX

Minor modes in effect:
  display-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-v C-v C-l C-n C-k C-k <help-echo> C-k C-k C-n C-k
C-k C-x C-s C-x C-b C-n C-p SPC C-x C-f <backspace>
<backspace> p / d e <backspace> <backspace> w i c k
<tab> i n f <tab> <return> C-u C-n C-u C-n C-u C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n e C-s s y m m e t r i z i n g C-p
C-p C-b C-b C-b SPC f o r SPC s o m e SPC $ \ a g e
n t ' ' SPC \ i n SPC \ A g e n t s $ M-q C-x C-s M-x
v e r s i o n <return> M-x r e p o r t SPC e m a c
s SPC b u g <return>

Recent messages:
Loading c:/Program Files
(x86)/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/style/amsmath.elc...done
Loading c:/Program Files
(x86)/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/style/amstext.elc...done
Loading c:/Program Files
(x86)/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/style/amsbsy.elc...done
Loading c:/Program Files
(x86)/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/style/amsopn.elc...done
Loading c:/Program Files
(x86)/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/style/article.elc...done
Applying style hooks... done
Mark saved where search started
Saving file d:/now/p/wicker/influence/influence_models.tex...
Wrote d:/now/p/wicker/influence/influence_models.tex
GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO

Load-path shadows:
d:/Admin/Configuration/emacs/ispell hides c:/Program Files
(x86)/emacs/lisp/textmodes/ispell

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums nnheader gnus-util netrc time-date mm-util
mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash
mail-utils emacsbug texmathp multi-isearch preview prv-emacs byte-opt
warnings tex-buf noutline outline font-latex bytecomp byte-compile latex
easy-mmode tex-style tex advice help-fns advice-preload easymenu
latexenc dired regexp-opt ebuff-menu electric battery cus-start cus-load
edmacro kmacro ispell ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help
ediff-util ediff-mult ediff-init ediff mailabbrev time preview-latex
tex-site auto-loads tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom
widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty
emacs)