Subject: bug#8953: 23.3.50; Should desktop.el claim lock when told to ignore another process?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 15:52:37 +0100

Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]> writes:

> When Emacs has not shut down cleanly (e.g. when I log out of my GNOME
> desktop without first quitting Emacs), then on restart desktop.el finds
> a lockfile and prompts me to ask whether I really want to load the
> desktop. If I answer “y” it loads fine, but does not claim the lock, so
> the desktop is not saved; in particular, it’s not auto-saved (I have
> code to save the desktop in my auto-save-hook).
>
> Should desktop.el claim the lock if the user decides to ignore an existing lockfile?

(This bug report unfortunately got no response at the time.)

Are you still seeing this problem in more recent versions of Emacs?  If
you are, I think desktop should.  I'm not a desktop user, though, so do
you have a step-by-step recipe to reproduce this bug, starting from
"emacs -Q"?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no