Subject: Re: bug#8952: GNU Emacs Bugs, Wishes, Etc.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 21:39:19 -0500

retitle 8952 Allow narrowing to be window specific
quit

Howard Persh <[email-masked]> writes:

> (1) query-replace immediately after narrow-to-region seems unreliable
> -- first time, it will not find the search string, but after an
> immediate second attempt, it will.

Covered by #13178.

>
> Wish list:
> (1) Narrowing being a per-window operation, not per-buffer (currently,
> narrowing in one window affects all windows viewing same buffer).

I'm retitling to this, but I suspect it will be too difficult to
implement.

> More way-out wish list:
> (1) Many years ago, I worked on IBM mainframes.  There was an editor
> called XEDIT, which ran under CMS.  One really, really nice feature of
> XEDIT that I would love to see Emacs adopt is keeping the current line
> (line with the edit cursor) on the middle (vertically) line of the
> window.  Maybe this could be a minor mode...?  Personally, I find this
> a much easier way to present and edit a file...

Covered by #5718.