Subject: bug#8951: [External] : Re: bug#8951: 24.0.50; [PATCH] enhancement request: buttonize key names

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 16:15:41 -0700

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> Grep even just the vanilla Emacs-Lisp sources for
> `substitute-command-keys'.  It's not used only for
> *Help*.  And then think about uses by other code,
> besides vanilla Emacs.

I only see a lot of places where we want whatever the user has
configured, none where we need an optional argument.

> What's the reason you prefer not to?  I don't
> understand.  Maybe you have a good reason, but
> I don't think you gave any (?).

I'm repeating myself here: I'm actually happy to add it, if we have a
use-case.  How about we try this for a start, and once users start using
this in the wild, they'll come back to us and say: hey I really want an
optional parameter here.  Then we think about if that makes sense for
their use-case, maybe it will, maybe it won't.  But at least we know
what we are trying to do.

The alternative is that we add stuff just because "maybe someone will
need it".  That leads to feature creep, bloat, and is just not a good
way to develop software.