Subject: Re: bug#8951: 24.0.50; [PATCH] enhancement request: buttonize key names

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 15:36:26 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> The attached patch adds a new option `help-mode--add-function-link' that
> when non-nil makes `substitute-command-keys' add a link to the
> `describe-function' for the bound command when inserting keys.

Looks like a good idea to me.

> I have reconsidered my previously held opinion that this should be off
> by default.  From using this patch, I have come to the conclusion that
> this position is wrong, as this is in fact highly useful in places such
> as `M-x ibuffer RET C-h m' and on many other help screen besides.  The
> only adverse effect of enabling it, furthermore, is that you might have
> to hit TAB a couple of times more on some help screens.  So I think
> having it on by default is very much a good thing.

Yes, me too.  We can try it out, at least, and see how it works in
practice, but it sounds really useful to me.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no