Subject: bug#8950: 24.0.50; switch-to-buffer-other-window not working

From: Suvayu Ali <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 02:07:37 -0700

Hi Emacs devs,

`switch-to-buffer-other-window' is behaving like
`switch-to-buffer-other-frame'. Pressing `C-x 4 b' brings the selected
buffer in a new frame instead of a new window. The behaviour is like
this even when the calls are from other lisp fucntions. For example,
while exporting an org-mode file with several source blocks a new frame
pops up and steals focus and goes out of focus repeatedly. This makes it
impossible to work with other applications during the export.

This is with Emacs 24 HEAD from sometime on June 17. Please feel free to
contact me if you need any more information. Hope this helps.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.22.0)
 of 2011-06-27 on kuru.homelinux.net
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.10905000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/opt/emacs-lisp'
'--with-selinux' '--with-imagemagick''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_IN.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> 
<options> <debug-on-error> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <options> <debug-on-quit> 
C-x 4 b <return> <switch-frame> M-x r e p o <tab> r 
t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Debug on Error enabled globally
Debug on Quit enabled globally
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/md4
hides /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/md4 /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hex-util
hides /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/hex-util /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram
hides /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/net/sasl-cram /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl
hides /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/net/sasl /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5
hides /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/net/hmac-md5 /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm
hides /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest
hides /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/net/sasl-digest /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def
hides /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/net/hmac-def /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/ntlm
hides /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/net/ntlm

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util time-date mail-extr message idna sendmail
regexp-opt format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader dabbrev emacsbug help-mode
easymenu view cus-start cus-load tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.