Subject: bug#895: slow processing of process output

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 11:30:40 +0200

> From: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 01:24:08 +0000
> 
> I tested in current master with mingw-w64 on Windows. The rgrep
> command given in the OP takes 29 s in Emacs, but the corresponding
> shell command[1] takes over a minute in Windows cmd.exe (at a guess,
> that's because cmd.exe scrolls line-by-line so has to push a lot of
> pixels).
> 
> Likewise, building Emacs is faster with "M-x compile" than it is on
> the shell (from a clean checkout on my configuration it takes 7 min 43
> seconds in Emacs and 9 minutes 15 seconds in cmd.exe).
> 
> I'm tempted to conclude that this bug has been fixed.

Thanks.

I think we need to try reproducing this on a Posix host before we can
conclude the bug is fixed.  The original problem was reported on
GNU/Linux, AFAICT, and the machinery used on Windows for communicating
with subprocesses is very different from that used on Unix.

Would someone please try reproducing this on GNU or Unix system?

TIA