Subject: Re: bug#8936: 24.0.50; Incompatible change in the meaning of "other window"

From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 20:33:26 -0400

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
   Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 11:29:14 +0200

    >    The problem is that C-x 4 b now creates a new frame to display the
    > buffer, instead of creating or reusing a window in the current frame.
    > This can be reproduced by typing "C-x 4 b" as the first thing in a fresh
    > "emacs -Q"; you will see the *Messages* buffer opened in a new frame.
    >
    >    This is in emacs trunk via git last updated today at 21:59:08 UTC.

   Here a new window pops up . . .

I updated again via git at 5-Jul-11 23:51 UTC, and can no longer
reproduce this behavior; C-x 4 b seems to work as it always has.  Thanks
for investigating.

   If Emacs can't split a window I currently make a new frame because the
   doc-string of `switch-to-buffer-other-window' explicitly says that "The
   selected window will be used only if there is no other choice" and
   making a new frame _is_ another choice.  If people think that reusing
   the selected window is a better choice I can easily do that.

   Thanks, martin

I have no opinion; I rarely use more than two windows per frame, so
there's plenty of room.

   Thanks again,

					-- Bob Rogers