Subject: 24.0.50; `substitute-command-keys' doc

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 14:29:30 -0700

Both the doc string and the doc in the Elisp manual (node `Keys in
Documentation') are unnecessarily confusing wrt `\='.
 
They both correctly say that `\=' "quotes the following character and is
discarded".  However, they then say this to illustrate what is meant:
 
 "thus, `\=\[' puts `\[' into the output, and `\=\=' puts
  `\=' into the output."
 
This is uncessarily complex and misleading.  All the `\=' does is
quote/escape the (single) next character, whatever it is.  Nothing
more.
 
It has no special effect on special character combinations such as `\['
and `\='.  If you really want to say something about escaping `\' as
the next character then I suppose you could: "In particular, `\=\'
produces `\' in the output.  The character following the escaped
character does not enter into (i.e., affect) the behavior at all.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-06-20 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/build/include'