Subject: bug#8925: 23.2; all syntax highlighting disappears from ERC mode when I M-x toggle-show-tabs-show-ws

From: "Zooko O'Whielacronx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 22:56:21 -0600

Dear emacsers:

Thank you so much for this wonderful tool!

ERC normally shows all sorts of useful information by changing the
fonts, for example, nicks are in different colors. However recently I
ran M-x toggle-show-tabs-show-ws, and now when I start an ERC buffer
(for example by joining a new IRC channel), it shows the normal
syntax-highlighted view, but then whenever I hit a key (or maybe
whenever someone else posts a message to the channel? I'm not sure) all
the syntax highlighting disappears, and it becomes a very boring black
and white rendering of the channel.

Regards,

Zooko

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
 of 2011-04-04 on crested, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11001000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build'
'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.2/leim'
'--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g'
'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: ERC

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
SPC y e t ? <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> ? <return> C-q <return> C-x 0 C-x k <return>
C-x b # e <tab> <return> C-r o o k o C-a C-x 3 <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> q u o t <tab>
s o SPC t h e SPC n e x t SPC s t e p SPC i n SPC t
h e SPC p l a n SPC i SPC t h <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> s SPC t h a t SPC I S-SPC f i l e SPC a
SPC b u g SPC r p o <backspace> <backspace> e p o r
t ? <return> M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Quit
(No files need saving)
Compilation exited abnormally with code 1
Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *compilation*>
call-interactively: Beginning of buffer
Quit
(No files need saving)
Compilation exited abnormally with code 1
Mark saved where search started
call-interactively: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in
minibuffer [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/show-wspace hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/show-wspace
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/egocentric hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/egocentric
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/cwebm hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/cwebm
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/keywiz hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/keywiz
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/miniedit hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/miniedit
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/todoo hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/todoo
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/diminish hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/diminish
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/csv-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/csv-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/joc-toggle-case hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/joc-toggle-case
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/protbuf hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/protbuf
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/graphviz-dot-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/graphviz-dot-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/filladapt hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/filladapt
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/coffee hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/coffee
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/markdown-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/markdown-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/under hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/under
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/tabbar hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/tabbar
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/sys-apropos hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/sys-apropos
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/highlight-beyond-fill-column
hides /usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/highlight-beyond-fill-column
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/perldoc hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/perldoc
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/all hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/all
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/upstart-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/upstart-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/align-string hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/align-string
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/browse-kill-ring hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/browse-kill-ring
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/edit-env hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/edit-env
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/mutt-alias hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/mutt-alias
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/keydef hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/keydef
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/ff-paths hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/ff-paths
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/services hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/services
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/tlc hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/tlc
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/emacs-goodies-el hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/emacs-goodies-el
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/twiddle hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/twiddle
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/minibuffer-complete-cycle
hides /usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/minibuffer-complete-cycle
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/maplev hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/maplev
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/toggle-option hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/toggle-option
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/browse-huge-tar hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/browse-huge-tar
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/thinks hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/thinks
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/clipper hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/clipper
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/auto-fill-inhibit hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/auto-fill-inhibit
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/shell-command hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/shell-command
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/dir-locals hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/dir-locals
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/dedicated hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/dedicated
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/tc hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/tc
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/matlab hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/matlab
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/floatbg hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/floatbg
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/lcomp hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/lcomp
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/initsplit hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/initsplit
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/emacs-goodies-custom hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/emacs-goodies-custom
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/folding hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/folding
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/ascii hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/ascii
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/tld hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/tld
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/color-theme_seldefcustom
hides /usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/color-theme_seldefcustom
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/pod-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/pod-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/dict hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/dict
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/setnu hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/setnu
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/marker-visit hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/marker-visit
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/bm hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/bm
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/framepop hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/framepop
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/home-end hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/home-end
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/rfcview hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/rfcview
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/silly-mail hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/silly-mail
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/tail hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/tail
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/quack hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/quack
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/boxquote hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/boxquote
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/pp-c-l hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/pp-c-l
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/minibuf-electric hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/minibuf-electric
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/highlight-completion hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/highlight-completion
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/apache-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/apache-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/htmlize hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/htmlize
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/df hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/df
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/xrdb-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/xrdb-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/highlight-current-line
hides /usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/highlight-current-line
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/protocols hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/protocols
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/slang-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/slang-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/obfusurl hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/obfusurl
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/pack-windows hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/pack-windows
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/color-theme-library hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/color-theme-library
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/session hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/session
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/projects hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/projects
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/map-lines hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/map-lines
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/color-theme hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/color-theme
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/muttrc-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/muttrc-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/joc-toggle-buffer hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/joc-toggle-buffer
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/bar-cursor hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/bar-cursor
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/ctypes hides
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/ctypes
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/textmodes/rst
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/textmodes/ispell

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash
mail-utils emacsbug multi-isearch shell whitespace python-21 python
kmacro tabify show-wspace vc-git rst compile derived browse-url
mule-util cal-move regexp-opt cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs erc-menu
erc-join erc-ring comint erc-networks erc-pcomplete time-date pcomplete
erc-track erc-match erc-button wid-edit erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit
erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat format-spec thingatpt pp
solarized-light-theme solarized-definitions cl cl-19 viper help-mode
easymenu view viper-ex viper-macs viper-mous viper-cmd viper-keym ring
viper-util viper-init advice help-fns advice-preload emacs-goodies-el
emacs-goodies-custom emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind system-font-setting
font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)