Subject: bug#8911: bs-cycle-next deletes window in some cases.

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:38:15 +0200

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 09:00, martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

> `switch-to-buffer' has a specific window show a specific buffer.  The
> user cannot change that via options.

Understood.

> `pop-to-buffer-same-window' tries to show a specific buffer in a
> specific window.  But the user can change that via options.  In
> particular, the user can decide to override the splitting behavior,
> dedicatedness of windows, ...

In the specific case of bs-cycle-next, for non-dedicated windows,
(pop-to-buffer-same-window next) works.

> All `bs-cycle-next' has to do is call
> it via
>
> (pop-to-buffer-same-window next nil 'bs-cycle-next)

Presumably you mean all is needed is that, plus an entry in
`display-buffer-alist'. But I don't see a way to say "OK, abort, this
window is strongly dedicated so the buffer shouldn't be shown
anywhere, just throw an error to the user". Care to show how to say
that?

TIA,

    Juanma