Subject: bug#8911: bs-cycle-next deletes window in some cases.

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:28:39 +0200

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 18:22, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I don't follow: why do you think it's a trouble?  To me it's exactly
> what I want.  Is it that you prefer it deletes the frame rather than
> iconify it?

No, certainly no.

>> (progn
>>   (set-window-dedicated-p (selected-window) t)
>>   (bury-buffer))
>
>> still iconifies the frame.
>
> What else would you want it to do?

Nothing, other than a message to the user "Attempt to bury buffer in
dedicated window", or something more friendly but equivalent.

 "burying a buffer" /= "iconifying a frame". The fact that the window
is dedicated does not turn that difference suddenly into an equality.

Please note a difference between your use of Emacs and mine: I *never*
use multiple frames. So if I happen to have a dedicated window and I
accidentaly try to bury the buffer, iconifying my only frame is never,
ever going to be useful. It will *always* be followed by de-iconifying
it and then fixing the problem.

Of course, it's not often that I have a single, dedicated window in
the frame. But I use dedicated windows for some things (like the
output of bs-show), and I sometimes do C-x 1 while on one of these
buffers.

    Juanma