Subject: bug#8911: bs-cycle-next deletes window in some cases.

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:22:12 -0400

> The trouble was that, when called on a dedicated window, it iconified
> the frame.

I don't follow: why do you think it's a trouble?  To me it's exactly
what I want.  Is it that you prefer it deletes the frame rather than
iconify it?

>> - give `bury-buffer' an extra argument which allows (or forbids) to
>>  delete the selected window (or corresponding frame),
> Perhaps this is the best long term answer.

Not sure if it's needed.  Calling bury-buffer with a non-nil arg should
be sufficient.

>> - make sure that `bury-buffer' deletes only automatically created
>>  windows (much like the recent option `frame-auto-delete').
> What's an "automatically created window"?

Good question.  To me it sounds like "softly dedicated" windows, but
I know Martin hates those, so he is clearly thinking of something else.

> (progn
>   (set-window-dedicated-p (selected-window) t)
>   (bury-buffer))

> still iconifies the frame.

What else would you want it to do?

        Stefan