Subject: bug#8911: bs-cycle-next deletes window in some cases.

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:02:29 -0400

>> As mentioned earlier, maybe the single-frame case is special, but I'd
>> really first like to know how you get into such a state.
> As I explained, I have strongly-dedicated windows, and every now and
> then I end doing C-x 1 inside one of them. As it isn't usually what I

Where do these strongly dedicated windows come from?

>> For any other case, M-x bury-buffer RET *should* iconify the current
>> frame if it shows a single dedicated window (with the caveat that
>> Drew wants it to delete the frame instead).

> <RET> for that). But explicit interactive calls of bury-buffer are not
> what I complain about; I don't mind these, because I just don't ever
> use them.

Good.

> My problem happens when bury-buffer is called from some
> elisp code that does a poor job of reading my mind: no, mr. program, I
> don't really want my frames iconified, thank you very much.

Please report these cases.  I suspect that in most cases the problem is
not bury-buffer's behavior but that the command should not call
bury-buffer (or not with a nil arg).

> bs-cycle-next is just the most prominent example of that bad behavior,
> because I use it a lot.

That's indeed a case where (bury-buffer nil) was the wrong thing to do.

        Stefan