Subject: bug#8908: --silent doesn't silence warnings

From: John David Anglin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 21:46:21 -0400

See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=48494>:

Executing on host: ../libtool --silent --tag=CC --mode=link 
/test/gnu/gcc/objdi
r/gcc/xgcc -B/test/gnu/gcc/objdir/gcc/
/test/gnu/gcc/gcc/boehm-gc/testsuite/boeh
m-gc.c/gctest.c
/test/gnu/gcc/objdir/hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11/./boehm-gc/libgcjgc.l
a  -O2  -I/test/gnu/gcc/objdir/hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11/./boehm-gc/include
-I/test/
gnu/gcc/gcc/boehm-gc/testsuite/../include   -Wc,-shared-libgcc -lpthread -lrt
-l
m   -o ./gctest    (timeout = 300)
libtool: link: warning: this platform does not like uninstalled shared
libraries
libtool: link: warning: `./gctest' will be relinked during installation
output is:
libtool: link: warning: this platform does not like uninstalled shared
libraries
libtool: link: warning: `./gctest' will be relinked during installation

FAIL: boehm-gc.c/gctest.c -O2 (test for excess errors)

Similar fails:
FAIL: boehm-gc.c/leak_test.c -O2 (test for excess errors)
FAIL: boehm-gc.c/middle.c -O2 (test for excess errors)
FAIL: boehm-gc.c/thread_leak_test.c -O2 (test for excess errors)
FAIL: boehm-gc.lib/staticrootstest.c -O2 (test for excess errors)

These tests fail because of the libtool warnings which are essentially
informational.

Think either --silent should silence warnings or there should be a
separate option to do so.

Dave
-- 
J. David Anglin                                  [email-masked]
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)