Subject: Re: bug#8900: 24.0.50; please index mentioned coding systems in Emacs manual

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 09:11:29 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 14:00:01 -0700
> 
> You need detailed doc about *each* coding system before you will index *any* of
> them?

I never said that.  Some of them _are_ indexed: raw-text,
no-conversion, and emacs-internal.  That's because the manual says
something specific about them, unlike the others.

> > Having index entries about something that isn't described
> > is a Bad Thing.
> 
> "Described" is vague here, so it's hard to judge.

Not really.  The following is _not_ a description:

	  For example, the coding system @code{iso-latin-1} has
  variants @code{iso-latin-1-unix}, @code{iso-latin-1-dos} and
  @code{iso-latin-1-mac}.

This mentions iso-latin-1-*, but says nothing at all about them.  The
whole sentence is an explanation of the -dos, -unix, -mac variants of
each coding-system, and uses iso-latin-1-* as an example.  And there's
no other reference to iso-latin-1-* anywhere in the manual.

How hard is it to judge that these symbols are not documented in the
manual?  I say it's obvious.  A reader who wants to know something
about iso-latin-1 will not be wiser after reading this.

> I do indexing for a living.

Then I pity your readers.