Subject: Re: bug#890: Problem using `etc/emacs.bash' with EmacsW32

From: "find lulu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 18:01:21 -0400

I have installed the newly announced EmacsW32, version 22.3 and attempted to
start Emacs with the following command at the Cygwin `bash' prompt:

$ mv ~/.emacs ~/keep.emacs  # preserve init. file while testing

$ emacsclient --version
emacsclient 22.3

$ emacsclient --alternate-editor=emacs ~/.bashrc
emacsclient.exe: connect: No connection could be made because the target
machine actively refused it.

However, despite the error message, Emacs starts as expected.  Within Emacs,
I ran the command M-x server-start
to start the Emacs server.  A subsequent `emacsclient' command works as
expected:

$ emacsclient --alternate-editor=emacs ~/keep.emacs
Waiting for Emacs...

If the changes I suggested earlier for Emacs 22's `lisp/server.el' are made,
then the error message is not displayed after the initial invocation of
`emacsclient'.  The reason the error message is displayed is the same,
namely, that when Emacs is shutting down and calls `(server-start -1)', the
code in `server-start' does not remove the server file
~/.emacs.d/server/server.

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>wrote:

> >>> * I am attempting to use the shell script `emacs.bash' that is
> provided*
> >> Could you explain why you don't ust use emacsclient directly (together
> >> with its -a argument)?
> > Your question prompts the question "Why does `etc/emacs.bash' exist at
> all?"
>
> Indeed, it's part of the question ;-)
> IIUC emacs.bash was written before emacsclient got its -a argument and
> it should either be removed or changed to use emacsclient's -a argument.
>
> But for that, we need someone (e.g. you) to test the replacement.
>
>
>        Stefan
>