Subject: Re: bug#890: Problem using `etc/emacs.bash' with EmacsW32

From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 23:46:50 +0200

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 22:11, Lennart Borgman (gmail)
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> Or, in the a bit longer perspective perhaps, emacsclient should be
>> enhanced to start Emacs itself when needed. (As you know there is code
>> for this available.)
> 
> No, Lennart, as we've discussed a few times, there is no "code for
> this available". There is a very different emacsclient (yours) with
> that capability. If you were to take the time to send a patch against
> the trunk, we'd be glad to review it.

Ok, 1-1 in excaggerations ;-)

The problem is not the code, the problem is the merging.

I have rearranged the code quite a bit to make it fit for starting Emacs
when it is not already running. That makes it hard to see what is
happening when we try to merge - and that is why you and I gave up last
time.

I suppose it might be my fault because I did not very clearly say what
is needed. Here is how I think it can be done:

- Before actually merging the code try to merge the primitives (ie the
function) used for giving messages and error handling. That will make it
much easier to merge later because it will be much less output from the
diff command. After this test that everything is working.

- Rearrange a bit in next step for the same reason. Now test again so we
did not do something stupid.

- Then actually do the merge of the code that might fail. Now we have a
much smaller diff to wade through if something unexpectedly goes wrong.

What do you say, Juanma?

And when can we do it?