Subject: Re: bug#8895: 24.0.50; Entering Directory matching no longer works in grep-mode

From: Vagn Johansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:45:31 +0200

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Vagn Johansen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Yes, sort of . I call (grep COMMAND-ARGS) with an external program
>> (written by me) which write the "Entering directory" message.
>
> In that case, you should use grep-mode-hook to set
> compilation-directory-matcher accordingly.  For us to cater to
> non-standard grep programs is a path to madness.

You can easily support "non-standard grep programs" by using a
standard expected output format. You already supported my program
because the bug I reported is a *regression*. I have been grepping
happily for many years with my program (within emacs).

My "non-standard grep program" follows the "standard" set forth by GNU
Make which prints out for example

  make: Entering directory `/u/vj/project1'

when run with make -C ~/project1

Maybe I have been lucky that grep-mode was built upon compilation-mode
so that I got
this additional feature, but I do not see it as "path to madness" if
you select *one* format
for parsing entering/leaving a directory information in grep output.

But yes, I should be able to use grep-mode-hook.

Regards
Vagn