Subject: bug#8893: [PATCH 1/2] tests: make test runner a script, not a shell function

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 21:51:42 +0200

Thank you!
That patch looks fine modulo two typos.
I'm folding in these corrections and have adjusted the
grammar in the commit log (included below).

diff --git a/tests/shell-or-perl b/tests/shell-or-perl
index ff92009..08604eb 100644
--- a/tests/shell-or-perl
+++ b/tests/shell-or-perl
@@ -1,7 +1,7 @@
 #! /bin/sh
 # Run a test script of the coreutils test scripts, picking up the right
 # interpreter (i.e., perl or the shell) and the right flags for it (e.g.,
-# perl `-T' flag for perl scripts that must rn in tainted mode).
+# perl `-T' flag for perl scripts that must run in tainted mode).
 #
 # Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
 #
@@ -71,7 +71,7 @@ while test $# -gt 0; do
   shift
 done

-unset assing_optarg_to_var var
+unset assign_optarg_to_var var

 case $# in
   0) error_ "missing argument";;

------------------------------
    tests: make test runner a script, not a shell function

    This change implements a more correct and idiomatic use of the
    features of the Automake-provided 'parallel-tests' harness.
    Moreover, this change is required in order for the testsuite to
    continue to work with the new testsuite harness that is planned
    to be introduced in Automake 1.12 (which, as of the writing date,
    is still under development and in alpha state).

    * tests/shell-or-perl: New auxiliary script.
    * tests/Makefile.am (EXTRA_DIST): Distribute it.
    * tests/check.mk (TESTS_ENVIRONMENT): Remove definition of the
    `shell_or_perl_' shell function, whose code has been moved in
    the new script above (with a few improvements and extensions).
    Do not use it to run the test scripts.
    (LOG_COMPILER): New, properly invoking `shell-or-perl'.