Subject: bug#8890: 23.3; message writing slows emacs

From: Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 02:54:34 -0400

on Sun Sep 11 2011, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> It would be good, IMO, to delay updating the visible message in the
>> minibuffer line long enough to be sure that the message just written
>> isn't about to be overwritten so fast that the user couldn't read it
>> anyway.
>
> Over-enthusiastic messaging isn't pretty, but slowing down Emacs just to
> display normal "informative" messages would be really bad, in my
> opinion.

I'm sorry; you've misunderstood me.  I agree with you!  I don't mean to
pause emacs; I mean to buffer the message until it has been stable for
some amount of time.  Hmm, I don't know whether emacs has the
architecture for that sort of asynchrony... but it should :-)

-- 
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com