Subject: Re: bug#889: 23.0.60; "Recover Crashed Session" is misleading

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:01:57 +0100

"era eriksson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Larsi, I think you misunderstand the issue.  My understanding is that
> this is a feature request: recover-session should recover your entire
> session after a crash, which it doesn't do, and never has done.

The function is defined to:

---
Recover auto save files from a previous Emacs session.
---

Which I think it does successfully?

> In case somebody still wants to take a look, the recover-buffers code is
> now hosted on Github.
>
> https://github.com/tripleee/recover-buffers
>
> The current license is dual GPL/BSD but if you would like to consider
> inclusion with Emacs, I'd be happy to change it.

If you want to restore the session from where you left off, I think the
recommended way to do that is to use the desktop package.
recover-session is more lightweight, and your proposed recover-buffers
(if I read the code correctly) sort of automates some bits of what
recover-session does?

I can't really remember much demand for something like this in Emacs,
since there are already other packages like desktop that's meant for
this, so I'm not sure it makes sense to add something like
recover-buffers to Emacs.  Does anybody else have an opinion here?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no