Subject: bug#8869: Unjustified selection time-out

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 13:52:16 -0500

Chong Yidong wrote:

> I committed a changed to make process_special_events deal with all X
> selection events in the keyboard fifo buffer.  Does that happen to fix
> things for you?

Sorry, no. Some general comments:

1) 20 seconds seems a very long default. If whatever Emacs wants to
contact does not respond in say 5 seconds, is it likely to in 20?

2) Someone who starts Emacs from a menu item as opposed to a terminal
probably won't see the message about x-select-enable-clipboard-manager.
Could you not print "Attempting to contact clipboard manager..."
in Emacs before it starts doing whatever it does?

3) I had no idea whether I am running a clipboard manager or not.

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8760
says xfce4-settings-helper may be responsible. I do have version
4.8.0 < 4.8.2. So probably this is a duplicate of that report. Oops.
Sorry for the noise. I'll write a PROBLEMS entry.

If I could figure out how to disable the xfce4 clipboard manager,
I could tell for sure...

4) The CLIPBOARD_MANAGER arg of x-selection-exists-p isn't documented.