Subject: Unjustified selection time-out

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:42:53 -0400

Package: Emacs
Version: 24.0.50

I recently started to get "selection time out errors" when deleting
frames, which more recently turned into "mere delays", but they're still
present.  Maybe it is true that my system is misconfigured, but AFAIK
I never messed with any clipboard configuration and no other application
seems to exhibit such a delay when exiting, so I suspect there's a bug
in our handling.
E.g. I suspect the new code sometimes thinks there's a "modern clipboard
manager" running when in reality there simply isn't any.  Or maybe your
delay is much longer than what is used by other applications.

        Stefan

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2011-06-12 on ceviche
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11002000
configured using `configure  'CFLAGS=-Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -DUSE_LISP_UNION_TYPE -DSYNC_INPUT -DENABLE_CHECKING -DXASSERTS -DFONTSET_DEBUG -g -O1 -I/usr/include/GNUstep' '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--with-x-toolkit=lucid''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  gnus-mailing-list-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
i t SPC i n t o SPC s o m e t h i n g SPC y o u SPC 
l i k e C-a <up> <return> M-q <backspace> <left> <right> 
<down> <left> <down> <right> <left> <down> <right> 
<left> <right> <up> <up> <left> <right> <down> <left> 
<right> <down> <left> <right> <down> C-SPC <C-down> 
<C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> 
<C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> C-w <C-down> <C-left> 
<C-right> <C-down> <C-left> <C-right> <C-down> <C-down> 
<C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> C-SPC 
<C-down> C-w Y u c k . <M-backspace> H m m . . . SPC 
n o t SPC s u r e SPC w h y SPC i t SPC d o e s n ' 
t SPC u s e SPC w i t h - s e l e c t e d - w i n d 
o w . <return> <up> <up> <up> <up> <left> <right> <down> 
<left> <right> <down> <left> <right> <up> <left> <right> 
<down> <left> <right> <down> <down> <left> <right> 
<right> <return> <return> M-i S t e f a n <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <left> C-a <left> <right> <down> 
<left> <right> <down> <left> <right> <down> <down> 
<left> <right> C-c <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <double-mouse-1> <backspace> <backspace> 
C-/ C-/ <up> <up> <left> <backspace> , SPC b u t SPC 
y e s , SPC p r o v i d i n g SPC a SPC ` w i n d o 
w ' SPC a r g u m e n t SPC i s SPC e v e n SPC b e 
t t e r . C-c C-c <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<help-echo> M-x r e p o r t - e m - b u <backspace> 
<backspace> g b <backspace> <backspace> b u <tab> 
<return>

Recent messages:
Mark set [2 times]
Auto-saving...done
call-interactively: End of buffer
Undo! [2 times]
Sending...
Sending via mail...
Sending...done
X clipboard manager error: Timed out waiting for reply from selection owner
If the problem persists, set `x-select-enable-clipboard-manager' to nil.
Warning: interactive-p is obsolete!

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug woman tutorial help-macro man info-look info help-at-pt
ehelp apropos cus-edit cus-start cus-load nndoc url-http url-gw url-auth
rect dabbrev gnus-dup vc-bzr filecache bbdb-com bbdb timezone debug
multi-isearch nnfolder canlock gnus-html browse-url xml url-cache mm-url
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-util diff-mode jka-compr gnus-fun supercite regi executable
copyright pp mule-util flow-fill sort smiley ansi-color gnus-cite
mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml nndraft nnmh rfc2104
network-stream starttls nnimap parse-time tls utf7 netrc nnagent nnml
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap nntp
gnus-cache nnir gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
server gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit noutline outline
easy-mmode flyspell ispell eldoc checkdoc regexp-opt thingatpt help-mode
easymenu view prog-mode electric url-handlers url-parse auth-source
warnings eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp assoc
gnus-util time-date password-cache url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr reveal
autoinsert uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload savehist
minibuf-eldef disp-table cl cl-loaddefs proof-site proof-autoloads
pg-vars bbdb-autoloads agda2 tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page newcomment menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)