Subject: Re: bug#8869: Unjustified selection time-out

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:11:36 +0100

On 17/06/11 03:56, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> ISTR you once mentioning you used a fairly old-school desktop setup, don't
>> know what you're using now - given you mention gnome-terminal, though, can
>
> Here's the idea:
> - standard Debian testing Gnome setup.
> - killall metacity.
> - start good'ol ctwm, emacs, and xterm.

Well, if you're literally doing that, that will tend to leave bits of 
gnome hanging about. You might be regarding that as a feature. However, 
if you're using the usual gdm display manager and you want a "pure ctwm" 
session with no gnome, which might also be useful to see if the problem 
still happens under it (probably won't, given no clipboard manager), an 
alternative might be to drop the attached file into

/usr/share/xsessions/ctwm.desktop

at least until such a time as the ctwm debian package supplies its own 
session definition (there's been a bug about the missing definition open 
since 2005, sigh: 
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=330045 ), then you 
should just be able to select CTWM at login time.

(The openbox wm package bundles more complex session definitions, 
including ones showing how to "cleanly" do openbox+gnome or openbox+kde)