Subject: bug#8869: Unjustified selection time-out

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 22:56:39 -0400

> ISTR you once mentioning you used a fairly old-school desktop setup, don't
> know what you're using now - given you mention gnome-terminal, though, can

Here's the idea:
- standard Debian testing Gnome setup.
- killall metacity.
- start good'ol ctwm, emacs, and xterm.
- add a zest of xmodmap+xresources.

I never use gnome-terminal because good'ol xterm works just fine, thank you.

> you see if you have the "gnome-settings-daemon" process hanging around?

Yes, it's there.  `dpkg' tells me it's package version 2.30.2-3.

> gnome-terminal was one of the apps I tested with, it takes 10 secs to

So, my random pick of gnome-terminal for testing was a good one, great.

> Uh. Can you start from a fresh emacs -Q and reliably replicate the issue, or
> is it only happening sometimes even considering only those times you've just
> copied in Emacs?

Hmm... I'm indeed having some trouble replicating the problem from
"emacs -Q".  I rarely if ever delete frames or exit Emacs, so I didn't
notice it, but it seems to only appear when I send an email/news message
with Gnus (these are placed in dedicated frames).
OK, I'll try and come up with a self-contained test case.  Thanks,

        Stefan