Subject: Re: bug#8869: Unjustified selection time-out

From: "Jan D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:58:45 +0200

David De La Harpe Golden skrev 2011-06-16 03:00:

> Right now a given emacs frame['s x11 window] is used as the selection
> owner, AFAIUI. When that frame is to be deleted, emacs asks the
> clipboard manager (if one is detected) to save. But if it's not the last
> frame opened via a given terminal/display connection, that is a little
> wasteful.
>
> Emacs doesn't currently keep an extra per-terminal invisible/input-only
> window lurking (or maybe it does and I just don't know about it) - in
> contrast AFAICS gtk+ opens a per-process per-display GtkInvisible for
> owning selections [1][2][3], and Qt probably does something vaguely
> similar. Emacs could in principle do similar.*

There is the session-leader window.  Not designed for this, but could do 
the job.  On the other hand, creating a new selection-holding window is 
not much job.  For multidisplay you actually need one window per 
display, so the session leader isn't really appropriate.  That is 
display as in X11 Display*, not display as in multiscreen.

	Jan D.