Subject: bug#8867: 24.0.50; bidi-display-reordering + lino-mode + move-up = beginning of buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 06:05:38 +0300

> From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 04:00:47 +0200
> Cc: Chen Levy <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 02:44, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >> 2. M-x lino-mode
> >
> > Tells me it doesn't know this command.
> 
> I think the OP meant linum-mode, and if so, the bug is real

Yes, linum-mode, and yes, it is easily reproducible.

> (bidi still has trouble with invisible text).

There's no invisible text anywhere in sight in linum.el, AFAICT.  It
works by creating overlays with before-string properties that are
displayed in the left margin area.  Before-strings in the margins is
something I never tried before under bidi-display-reordering, so it's
not a surprise it has problems.

However, since I'm working on reordering strings, which will directly
affect this use case (and also holds off code freeze), I'm putting
this on hold until that job is done.

> In fact, I thought this problem was already reported, but I've been
> unable to find the relevant bug#, so perhaps no.

If you mean invisible text, it's bug #7616.