Subject: RE: bug#8865: 24.0.50; `display-buffer' does not respect `pop-up-frames'

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 07:02:00 -0700

> > BTW, can you tell me what is a reasonable substitute for tests of
> > `pop-up-frames' now?  That is, what to do about code that has (if
> > pop-up-frames ...)?  What is the replacement for such a 
> > test in Emacs 24?  Thx.
> 
> Depends on the intention behind that test, I guess.

The intention of that test has to be to determine whether `pop-up-frames' is nil
or non-nil, since that was the original design of `pop-up-frames'.

Non-nil was designed to mean that `display-buffer' uses another frame.  From the
Emacs 20-23 doc string (and probably ever since the variable existed - probably
Emacs 18):

"Non-nil means `display-buffer' should make a separate frame."

Emacs 23 added a particular non-nil value, `graphic-only', but the simple
nil/non-nil test behavior is what I'm after and is what the Emacs source code
has used as well - it's generally graphic displays that my code is concerned
with wrt frames.

See my reply to Martin for examples, if that helps.